Part-Time Pastor Job Description
First United Presbyterian Church, Winterset
First United Presbyterian Church, Winterset is seeking a part-time Pastor to work along side the lay leadership of the church to fulfill the spiritual needs of the congregation. We seek a person who embraces a priesthood of all believers theology and finds joy in helping and empowering people to use their God-given talents in ministry.
First United Presbyterian Church, Winterset is open to a pastor sharing arrangement with another church, a semi-retired pastor, or a bi-vocational candidate. Candidates should have at least the equivalent of three years of preaching and teaching experience as a full or part-time pastor.
PASTOR’S RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS:
- Spiritual Formation
- Worship – plan and lead
- Collaborate with the Worship Ministry team and Music Director to provide engaging and uplifting worship services that lead others to Christ
- Effective public communicator, speaking easily and effectively in all settings.
- Deliver effective, inspirational, challenging, clear, and motivating sermons, with practical applications to daily life and spiritual development two (2) Sundays per month.
- Administer the sacraments as scheduled or required.
- Assist in the development of and participate in special services of the church year (part-time) and weddings
- Adult Education
- Plan and Conduct study group weekly September through May
- Embrace a 3 D ministry philosophy
- Assist congregants to DISCOVER their God given talents
- Provide leadership and training to DEVELOP congregants gifts to carry out the ministry to which God has called them
- Disperse congregants into the community by empowering them in the name of the church
- Worship – plan and lead
- Pastoral Care
- With compassion and spiritual maturity, counsel and advance understanding through active listening and prayerful advice.
- Provide pastoral care for seriously ill, those in crisis, and other congregants
- Conduct funeral and memorial service as needed
- Personal Characteristics
- Ability to build relationships of trust and respect by engaging the congregation in setting goals, executing plans, and delivering results. Effective mediation of conflicts by encouraging collaboration, open dialogue, taking responsibility, knowledge and appreciation of individual gifts and abilities, and mutual assistance, creating an atmosphere of belonging.
- Ability to see projects and tasks through to the end, working within church policies, practices, and procedures and at all times collaborating with and respecting the positions of church leaders and members.
- Ability to put people at ease when seeking counseling or present problems for prayerful consideration, discussion, and guidance.
- Ability to see ahead to the future vision for the church and discussing and implementing ways to achieve that vision.
- Ability and willingness to Identify the spiritual gifts of members and nurture and empower lay leadership in all areas of ministry and evangelism as described above in 1.c.
- Moderate Session and congregation meetings
- Participate in planning and visioning with Session with implementation provided by the appropriate individual or team
- Provide supervision of church office staff
- Represent the church as needed in the community and with Presbytery
TERMS: Monthly compensation depending on experience and recognized skill set. Position intended to be up to 50% (1/2) time (20 hrs per week). This position will initially be for twelve (12) months, renewable annually.